Things have been busier than I prefer lately. The holidays were wonderful and full of all the usual splendor but I continue to find myself needing to simplify, slow things down, and get back on track.
I haven’t posted as much as I plan to. But I’ve been reviewing and updating our routines and schedules and working on a bunch of projects around the house, as well as decluttering and readjusting for a baby that’s getting a whole lot more mobile. He’s been scooting himself all over the place and sat up for the first time today! Marked it in his baby book! So Exciting! So it hasn’t been time wasted.
I’m hoping to start posting here regularly twice a week on Tuesday and Friday. I’ve got so many fun posts planned and can’t wait to share them with you. We’ve been doing a bunch of fun Valentine’s Day projects and Groundhog Day is coming up soon. You can expect a few posts related to these special days!
Another thing I’ve been planning to share on the blog is my first list of favorites. I always enjoy seeing these lists on other blogs and finding out about what others are excited enough to share. My list is full of favorites that are currently making my life easier, simpler, or more fun. I’m planning to do this each month and hope you might find some joy here as well!
– Tulsi Tea with Ginger & Healthy Hot Chocolate: I enjoy hot drinks all year around but Traditional Medicinal’s Tulsi Tea and the healthy hot chocolate we make ourselves are my go to beverages for afternoon quite time these days! They’re so delicious and aromatic that I look forward to sitting down to sip on these yummy beverages all day long!
– Book Marks and To Do List Pad From Carrot Top Paper Shop: Carrot Top Paper shop makes the loveliest stationary I’ve ever seen and what’s even better is that this Etsy shop is inspired by my favorite literary heroines! Santa knew that I’d had my eye on these beauties for a while and made sure they ended up under the tree with my name on them. Thank you Santa! I get so much pleasure every time I open a book to start reading and see Jane Eyre or Hermione Granger looking back at me! Sigh! The to do list notepad is so gorgeous that I didn’t want to write on it at first, ha, but I’ve gotten over that now and use it all the time!
– Books I’ve Read: A Bibliophile’s Journal: This was my other gift from Santa! It’s a journal that’s solely dedicated to recording the books I read! I’m so excited to have a specific place to document all of the books I read now! It even has a little page to record your thoughts about the book.
– The Cozy Life: Rediscover the Joy of the Simple Things Through the Danish Concept of Hygge by Pia Edberg: I love it when I discover that there’s already a name for something I’ve been doing for years! That’s exactly what happened when I started researching the Danish term hygge! The Oxford Dictionary defines hygge as a ‘quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being’. I’m not Danish, but I was delighted to discover, with the exception of specifically Danish recipes and customs, I’ve been doing most of these things as far back as I can remember! The Cozy Life is a great introduction to hygge. The first thing that drew me in was the cover: a mug, a cozy blanket, pinecones, twinkling lights and candles. I’m in! It’s a quick read with charming illustrations, helpful lists, and delicious, easy recipes! Delightful!
– The Curated Closet by Anuschka Rees: We used the KonMari method to declutter and get our home in order before the move into our new home last year. I have a lot of appreciation for her method! I was so impressed with the results that I even picked up her follow up book, which is basically an illustrated and more in-depth guide to the method. It really helped me eliminate all the things that were cluttering up my wardrobe. So now I have more room in my closet, but I’ve been looking for a simple way to actually define my style. I’d been hearing good things about The Curated Closet and it sounded just like what I needed. Its tag line reads it’s ‘a simple system for discovering your personal style and building your dream wardrobe’. The book was backordered which only increased the excitement and anticipation! Well, I’m half way through the book now and loving it! I’m not worried about following trends, I just want to simplify, develope my personal sense of style and build a streamlined wardrobe of pieces that work well together. Hoping to do a post about my progress in this area in the future!
– Netflix Original Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events : My husband and I enjoyed reading the first three A Series of Unfortunate Events books together when they first came out. We also saw the film version with Jim Carrey. So, I was super excited to hear Netflix was making their own version too. We cuddled up on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn a couple nights ago and watched the first episode. It was very well done! We don’t binge watch but I can’t wait to see more!
– Rose Water : I have dry, sensitive skin and in winter it’s even worse. I use tons of moisturizer, drink lots of water, and run a humidifier but my skin still occasionally craves a little extra TLC! I use a rose water aromatherapy mist on my face for a boost to alleviate any dryness or tightness. It’s extremely soothing and refreshing. I use it as my daily body splash too! It smells amazing!
– Stainless Steel Straws: Everyone in the family drinks a green smoothie each morning at breakfast. We often have another smoothie or protein shake in the afternoon as well. The kids like to use straws for theirs and so we go through those straws pretty quickly. We had a bunch of reusable plastic ones that I wasn’t thrilled with so I was relieved to find these durable stainless steel straws! We’ve been using them for about a month now and I’m ecstatic about the purchase!
-DIY Projects: One of my New Year’s resolutions is to be more creative and to start and actually finish some of the DIY projects I’ve been planning for a while. I’ve had all of the supplies to make a state string art project, on a reclaimed pallet canvas, for over a year. Well, I finally got it done! My husband helped with staining and white washing the pallet boards. The kids were there cheering me on the whole time and begging to help with the hammering. So it was a family project! I can’t wait to get it hung! I’m so excited to add more art to our home that we created with our own hands!
-Cornstarch: This one has been saving the day around here all month! I didn’t have much of a problem with rashes with my first two boys but our new baby has been struggling with a little rash under his neck for a couple of weeks now. He’s teething and drooling all the time and so there’s been a lot of moisture under his neck. I’m keeping him as dry as possible, changing his outfits constantly, and using the cornstarch and it’s finally starting to clear up. Thank goodness!
Well, that’s what’s been making my life better this month!
What’s been making you happier or your life easier lately? Can’t wait to hear!
Lots of love!